Let’s Talk Turkey
Turkey Day (aka-Thanksgiving) is fast approaching and it is that time of the year again when family and friends come together for a feast. There are several ways to cook a turkey, but a favorite among some is deep-fried. Unfortunately, we have all seen the videos that end in a fiery ball of poultry. If you plan on deep frying a turkey this year, please keep the following tips in mind.
Thaw and Dry turkey completely before cooking.
- Thaw the turkey in the refrigerator for approximately 24 hours for every 5 pounds, according to The National Turkey Federation(http://www.eatturkey.com)
- Ice or water that mixes can cause flare-ups
- Use fryer OUTDOORS and away from decks, garages, homes, and other structures.
- Keep children and pets away from the fryer.
- Use on a flat surface to avoid accidental tipping. Make sure the tank and burner are at least 2+ feet apart.
Measure the Oil
- Avoid overfilling by reading the manufacturer’s instructions.
Be Prepared (SAFETY FIRST!)
- Use oven mitts to protect hands and/or arms.
- Safety goggles to protect eyes
- Have a grease-rated fire extinguisher nearby and ready.
- Remove pot from burner and place on a level surface.
- Allow the oil to cool overnight before disposing of oil in a sealed container.
Most importantly, NEVER LEAVE FRYERS UNATTENDED!! Please be careful this holiday season and share these tips with your friends and family that enjoy fried turkey. If you become a victim of a deep-fryer fire, SERVPRO of Gainesville is here to help. We are available 24/7/365 days a year at 770-536-1010.